Our resident BOFF in the kitchen – Ina Paarman has cooked up a storm of a recipe on this one – try it:)
Chorizo Style Mince with Sweet Potato
Mexican chorizo can be hard to find. Luckily, making your own is quick and easy. We have used pork mince. If you cannot find it, use a fresh pork fillet and chop it up in a food processor. Beef mince is an acceptable substitute
YOU WILL NEED
- 300 g sweet potatoes (orange are best), peeled and cut into small blocks
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Potato Spice
- 3 T (45 ml) canola oil
- 1 red chilli, sliced into rings
- 1 ½ T (22.5 ml) paprika
- 1 t (5 ml) ground coriander
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 T (30 ml) cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- 1 fresh pork fillet ± 400 – 500 g, chopped in a food processor, or pork mince
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Coat & Cook Sauce
- 4 – 6 soft wraps
- Ina Paarman’s Coriander Pesto
- 1 red onion, finely sliced into rings
- 1 avocado, sliced (if in season)
- 1 lime or lemon, cut into wedges
Steam the sweet potato cubes until tender. Season with Potato Spice. Meanwhile place the oil, chilli, paprika, ground coriander and Garlic & Herb Seasoning in a frying pan. Stir and cook gently while stirring to develop the aroma of the spices for about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the garlic, vinegar and sugar. Return pan to medium high heat, add minced pork. Mash and mix meat with a wooden spoon until spice mixture is evenly incorporated. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Add the Sun-dried Tomato Coat & Cook Sauce. Add cooked sweet potatoes and lightly stir through. Cover with a lid and warm through for ± 5 minutes.
Spread each wrap with Coriander Pesto. Spoon mince filling into the centre of each tortilla. Top with onion rings and avocado if in season. Squeeze over a little lime juice.
If you have smoked paprika in your store cupboard use that as a nice variation. Instead of sweet potato, use the kernels from 2 meilies.